Monday 19 April 2010

The Power of Yes


The Power of Yes is more of a verbatim theatre and felt more like I was sitting in a lecture than I was watching a play. The story is not a play, he merely writes a script based on already existing people and the actors are just impersonating them. The beginning of the play the author, played by Anthony Calf, asks lots of questions on behalf of the audience. For me, who doesn't have much basic understanding of how we came about to be in this financial turmoil, seeing this 'play' only seem to confuse me more. Of course, they made a joke of all the mumbo jumbo that is the mathematics of accounting but still didn't really explain what it all meant.

Throughout the play I wasn't always lost in a maze of algebraic symbols and meanings as the play did make some words and arguments more visual, such as with the blackboard and bicycle and especially the drop down projection screen, which I must admit helped alot with my concentration. The black shiny floor worked unanimously with the projections making a mirrored effect which was great visually. It also sustains good fun humour throughout. It has been described as
Not only enlightening - financially and psychologically - but biting, witty, fun - New Statement


There was clearly alot of research gone into writing this piece and with a bit more understanding on my part it no doubt would have been very enlightening. But for free I can't complain. Ahh the joys of being under 26!

No comments:

Post a Comment